When you’re a homeowner, one of the biggest perils to your house and loved ones is the risk of fire. The U.S. Fire Administration calculated in 2019 that American homeowners took on about $1.6 billion in damages due to unintentional or unattended fires. The terrible truth is fires are unexpected and many times avoidable -- with a little knowledge of where to start. And, luckily, you are ready with a monitored fire alarm that sends you aid immediately if you ever have an emergency.
What Causes House Fires In South Fulton?
Fires can happen in any spot at any time in the home. However, you can lower the danger of a blaze by taking safety measures around the following objects:
- Stoves and Ovens: Cooking is far and away the leading cause of a house fire in South Fulton. Cooking-related blazes typically start when the kitchen is left unattended during meal preparation. Water thrown on a grease fire only works to escalate a flame that would alternatively be easily handled.
- Candles: Passing out in a space with a going candle is dangerous, even when you use a high-sided candle holder. The flame can blow and catch a curtain on fire if left on a window sill, and animals can topple candlesticks in their playing. The National Fire Protection Association estimates that just over 7,600 homes were damaged because of candle-related incidents between 2014-2018.
- Electrical wires: Old electrical circuit interrupters, “tamper-resistant” electrical outlets, malfunctioning or poorly installed lighting, and frayed lamp cords are all prone to sparks. Don't overload your outlets or plug any object in with bare wires. On the off chance you hear popping or catch a whiff of smoke from the outlet, power down the breaker off prior to checking it out.
- Space Heaters: Avoid coiled space heaters because waste, like dust bunnies, old papers, or covers can end up in and catch fire. However, you need to make sure to monitor fan and ceramic space heaters at all times when in operation.
- Cigarettes: Solely in 2014, U.S. fire departments fought blazes in more than 17,000 residence fires caused by cigars, pipes, or cigarettes. So if you have a smoker in the house, be certain they never fall asleep with a cigarette or smoke in bed. And fully put out your tobacco items prior to placing it into a waste bin.
A Monitored Smoke Detector Will Help When You Have A Fire
If a fire happens to spark, you definitely want to have a speedy discovery system to inform your loved ones before it's too late. An ordinary smoke alarm might be sufficient but can only alert you if smoke is really billowing. A cutting-edge fire alarm -- a piece of equipment that's tied to your home security system -- is powerful enough to discover both smoke and excess heat and can do more to ensure your family is safe.
A monitored fire alarm has multiple it can warn you of smoke. Your alarms can alert your loved ones with a high-decibel siren and a message to your mobile device. Then your always-on monitoring experts reaches out to the fire department. And if you're ever somewhere in which you aren’t able to speed back in time when a fire starts, you can be reassured that your monitoring agent can help coordinate contact between you and emergency personnel.
Protect Your Home With Monitored Fire Alarms From Secure24 Alarm Systems
The chance of house fires in South Fulton should never be underestimated, but you can rest assured if you have a monitored fire alarm on hand. Contact Secure24 Alarm Systems, and we’ll help you install all the safety alarms you need with a state-of-the-art home security system. Call (731) 202-7028 or fill out the form below to begin.