Should You Be Concerned About Smart Home Hacking In South Fulton?
In various ways, smart devices like security cameras and video doorbells have boosted our home security. We are able to get alerts if someone arrives at our front steps, and we can have video clips sent to us when suspicious movements are happening. Having implements we may access via the internet advises us to potential risks instantly. But there is one primary drawback. The quick access we enjoy is also opening a door hackers.
Although you shouldn’t lay awake at night agonizing over smart home hacking in South Fulton, you need to be aware of the risk involved and take steps to circumvent it.
Ways To Prevent Smart Home Hacking
It would appear that nearly everything is linked to the internet nowadays - home security components, TVs, and even your kitchen appliances like ranges and coffee makers. This also generates more avenues for cyber criminals to sneak into your network. That doesn't mean you have to forgo wireless home security systems or other smart devices. Instead, abide by these tips and do what you can to keep intruders away from your network.
- Protect with strong passwords: This is a must for all accounts, including your wireless configuration. Use lower and upper casing and an assortment of letters, special characters, and numbers. Avoid dates of birth, anniversaries, or other things hackers may easily guess. A password generator will give you something absolutely random and password management software will assist you in tracking your different accounts and passwords.
- Update default settings: When setting up a new router, it will probably come with a standard password to help you get started. Don’t forget to update it. Hackers may know these default settings too. Establishing your wireless network and new router properly from day one is vital in maintaining your security.
- Set up separate networks: Why put your smart fridge, your security sensors, and your work laptop on a single network? Many routers will let you create a distinct guest network. Take advantage of it and shield private data present on your laptop, desktop, and phone.
- Install a firewall: Firewalls aren’t just for commercial networks. They might also be used on private network. Firewalls can keep an eye on what’s happening on your network and thwart questionable activity. You might start with a router including a built-in firewall.
- Utilize the top encryption standards and security protocols: If you’re using a newer router, you may have the chance to use WPA3, the most up-to-date wireless security protocol. If that’s not an option, WPA2 with AES encryption will be sufficient. You ought to look for home security components that feature 128-bit or higher.
- Make sure firmware and software is updated: Keep your firmware and software up to date for all components, which includes your connected surveillance units. Frequently, these updates will fix known issues and bolster your security.
Be Cautious of Lower Quality Smart Home Components In South Fulton
Respected brands like ADT and Amazon have reputations to maintain and are more likely to rectify a security flaw in their components. Other lesser-known options may not be quite as diligent. Getting your smart thermostat, video doorbell, surveillance system, and other components from a lone supplier like ADT is the right move. And having all of your equipment installed at the same time will go a long way to ensuring seamless integration, security, and performance. It’s also worthwhile to point out that ADT Command, the central touchpad interface, uses two-way encryption when engaging with with your smart devices.
Request Your Own South Fulton Home Security System
Now that you have a greater understanding on how to keep your home network secure, It’s the right moment to begin designing your own smart home security system in South Fulton. The security specialists at Secure24 Alarm Systems are here to find the right package for your property. Call (731) 202-7028 or complete the form to get started.